Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day...

Today is Memorial Day, a day that I think should be very important in the life of every American.

We Americans have three supremely patriotic holidays. One, of course is Independence Day, falling on the 4th of July, which celebrates the Nation as a whole. Veterans Day, falling on November 11th, honors all who have served in our armed forces. The other is Memorial Day, falling on the last Monday in May.

Memorial Day is the day on which we officially remember all of those who have fallen while serving in the armed forces of our country. I thank God everyday for these men and women have stood between us and tyranny for the last 232 years. They died to protect the freedom that we hold dear. Please take a moment today, and everyday, to ask God to protect the brave young people who are willing to give their lives to preserve our lives and freedoms. They are the real heroes.

If you have the inclination, and would like to help our servicemen and women, and their families, the following links are all highly rated by charity watchdog organizations:

http://www.nmfa.org/site/PageServer

http://www.fisherhouse.org/


Frances

Writing Science Fiction Romance
Real Love in a Real Future

P.S. I know that I am a day late and a dollar short, but it was brought to my attention that I didn't make something clear in this post, and I want to correct it. When we in America speak of honoring our armed service members who have fallen in the line of duty, we speak of our Army, Navy, Merchant Marine, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Marines. But, also local communities honor members of the Police, Firefighters, and Paramedics, who are constantly in the line of duty, and on whom we all depend.

Frances
Wednesday, April 28, 2008

4 comments:

Melanie Atkins said...

Love this, Frances. I wish I'd thought to blog about Memorial Day. We do owe so much to those who have fallen. Kudos to you for remembering them!

Frances said...

Melanie,
Thank you so much. It's great to have you drop by.

Frances

D L Jackson said...

Hello Frances, cruised over from Stars to check out your blog. Thanks for taking the time to honor our fallen heros. This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I am an Army Veteran, My husband is as well, and I have many friends, many who are like family, from the 10th Mountain Divison, fighting and dying over in Irac. And soon, it looks like my oldest son may be joining them.
Many veterans, back to our founding fathers, have paved the way for democracy and enabled us to enjoy many freedoms that sadly, are taken for granted these days. It's nice to see them remembered, all our heros, overseas and domestic. Again, thank you for taking time to remember them, so they are not forgotten. God Bless the USA.
Dawn

Frances said...

Dawn,
You are so welcome. I hope that you will stop by often. My father was in the Merchant Marine. I had six uncles and they were all in the various brances of the military. I have one brother and he was in the Special Forces. I thank God and ask Him to protect all of those standing between us and tyrany. If we cease to value our freedoms and those who protect them, then we will lose them.

I will keep your son and your friends in the 10th Mountain in my prayers.

Frances