Monday, September 29, 2008

It's a Conspiracy...

...Of inanimate objects against human beings. They're out to drive us crazy. I'm not paranoid. They really are out to get us.

My dinosaur of a computer was working fine on the afternoon of September 17th. I was working happily. Then I had to run to the grocery. You know how it is... life intruded. I needed to eat. When I returned, one hour later, there was a black screen of death staring at me, saying, "Disk unable to boot." What tha...?

Nothing that I did could induce that cantankerous antique to get back to work. Therefore, it was off with its carcass to the repair shop the next morning. "It will be two weeks before we can work on your computer." No worries! I have a laptop that I can use as backup. Not !

The laptop was out to get me too. All told, it took me over five hours in as many days and two weeks to get online once again. In addition, I am sure that I have been black listed in New Delhi for shouting at the hapless child on the other end of the line, "I can't understand a word that you are saying. Please get someone that I can understand."

God bless that young man in the Philippines. I could understand him, and he could actually understand my Southern Belle English. It turned out that there was a little box in the Properties for my Network Connections that was supposed to have been checked at the factory. It hadn't! It is now... and... oh, there are men in white coats are at the door... I really must see what they want.

Isn't a global economy wonderful.

Frances

Writing Science Fiction Romance
Real Love in a Real Future

2 comments:

Jace said...

LOL
THAT'S what you'd been up to during all the weeks of silence. LOL

Seriously though, comp acting crazy is no fun. I hate it. I'm glad everything's back to normal now. :-)

Frances said...

Actually Jace,
I tried to use my time wisely. I read and I wrote. But golly gee, do I have some e-mails to catch up on - over a thousand spams that had to blown away and over six-hundred real ones that have to be read or answered. And that says nothing of the blogs, articles and classes that have to be caught up on. Interet overload, and those funny men in white coats are back at my door. I wonder what they want this time of the morning. Pasha Zack, get off of my head...