Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Lunar Eclipse: Wednesday, October 8, 2014

ASTRONOMY REPORT: It's been a while since I've done one of these, but, this morning has been a goodie! For one thing, it brought back all sorts of wonderful memories from childhood. Earlier in the evening, the Moonlight had been breathtakingly bright outside, the kind of night that kids find irresistible for midnight play...the kind that they "never" confess to their parents. For another, I had a kool Dad. I think he knew and understood. I couldn't have been more than ten when I remember him coming and getting me out of bed to "show me something". He wrapped me in a blanket and we slipped quietly outside. It was about 2AM and my first Lunar Eclipse. I've obviously never forgotten his gift. A little while ago I saw someone's tweet that he couldn't wait for his kids to be old enough to appreciate lunar eclipses. I hope that he doesn't wait any longer. I'm so glad that my Dad didn't.

Earlier, as I said, it was, in flying speak, "severe clear". I woke just as the eclipse started. I looked out the window and noticed that the moonlight was much less than earlier. I asked the Poodle Pasha if he wanted to go outside. He looked at me as if I'd lost my mind...but came running the instant he heard the leash click. Amazing how such a small sound can cause a Poodle Pasha to move at light speed. It's also amazing how fast genuine celestial bodies move through Space. The eclipse was progressing rapidly. As it progressed, I could easily see Jupiter, the Pleiades, Orion, Perseus, Taurus, Auriga, Gemini, and many more constellations, trees being the limiting factor. Then, even though it was a full Moon, and in spite of lights from the highway, I could see the Milky Way. In an urban environment, that's rather rare. By then, the Moon had turned a lovely copper color. We stayed out until a strong, high haze moved in. I'm so glad to have added one more memory to my file of lovely memories.

 God bless everyone, and may you too have many precious memories to share with those whom you love.

No comments: