Friday, April 17, 2009

I Am Disturbed

Dear Friends,

Recently, I have observed something that disturbs me very much. Perhaps I have been living in a bubble of civility, but that’s the way I like it, so that is the way I live it.

There are multitudes of law-abiding citizens of the United States who are dissatisfied with what the government of this country is doing. I’ve never seen anything like it. Recently, these people, through word of mouth and the Internet, began to make contact with one another. They decided (again through word of mouth) to get together on the day upon which they paid their taxes, and let their elected representatives know that they were not pleased with those representatives’ conduct. That’s cool. People have been doing that in America since before the country became an independent nation.

Thousands of people, all across the country, brought their families, met, voiced their opinions, broke no laws, and, from what I saw, didn’t even leave a shred of trash behind when they went back to their jobs or homes.

What disturbed me was the conduct of the mainstream news media. I have seen them report on groups of five to ten screaming people as if they were many hundreds present. Day-before-yesterday, there were thousands and thousands of polite people gathered all over the country, and except for one network, the mainstream news media barely commented upon it... except to make crude jokes about law abiding citizens. How very vulgar!

No wonder the mainstream news media ratings are declining. Vulgarity should never be rewarded. After all, next to being boring, vulgarity is the second most unforgivable sin.

No one should ever be belittled. Everyone has the right to say what they think... so long as they do it civilly and don’t harm anyone else. It’s called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. It’s guaranteed in our Constitution.

Let’s keep it that way.

Frances
Writing Science Fiction Romance
Real Love in a Real Future

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post Frances, as usual...

Frances said...

A.J., Thank you very much. I think we need to pray for our country.