Monday, January 12, 2009

How Doth My Garden Grow...

As a new addition to my blog, I’m going to try to start adding brief posts about my garden at least once a month. I count my garden year from January 1 to December 31, so I am few days late with this post due to feeling like an eighteen wheeler truck ran me down and then decided to back up to make sure that it did a proper job.

As of the first of January, blooming in my yard were:
Paper White Narcissus: very fragrant








Purple Dawn Camellia:






White Camellia:







Sweet Olive (Osmanthus fragrans): very fragrant
Happy gardening,
Frances
Going back to writing now, :-)

4 comments:

Jace said...

Your flowers are absolutely gorgeous! And they bloom in winter?! Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable about plants :( but that doesn't stop me from liking and appreciating them. :)

Frances said...

Jace, it's 25 degrees F. outside this morning, and the sun is just coming up, skies severe clear. I expect it to reach almost 60 later in the day. Yes these bloom in the winter. I've been working for years to have bloom all twelve months. Right now, the yard looks pretty scruffy because I haven't finished cleaning beds and getting the fall leaves picked up. There are also still fallen trees and limbs from the autumn storms which must be cut up. It never ends. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous, I don't have anything blooming, and I'm in Florida! At least my parsley is nice and green. My garden is a mess.

Jess

Frances said...

Hi Jess!
We've had a few days of hard freezes and the camellias have been scorched. The narcissus have decided to hold their blooms until it warms. They should be peeking out again in a few days if it doesn't drop down into the low 20's all over again. The daffodils are poking their head above ground and should soon start blooming. Oh, yeah, my green onions look terrific and taste even better. *G*