Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Eagle Has Landed...

Thirty-nine years ago, today, man first set foot on a celestial body other than Earth. I was a student in college in 1969 when Neil Armstrong first stepped from the Lunar Lander, Eagle onto the face of the Moon, uttering the famous words, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

I have always loved this next picture of Buzz Aldrin, taken by Neil Armstrong. You can see the reflection of Armstrong in Aldrin's visor. Also you can see the reflection of the landing leg of the Eagle. I have cropped the picture somewhat in order that you see these reflections, but as a piece of photography, all I can say is, "Wow!"

It boggled my mind then; and, the fact that the foot print that you see here is still on the surface of the Moon today, continues to amaze me. Now when we look up at the Moon, we can actually say, we've been there. How cool is that? Hmmm... But with the price of gas what it is now, I can't see really myself going in the near future. I guess that I will have to live vicariously through my characters' adventures.
I hope that some of you will someday travel to the stars.
Frances
Writing Science Fiction Romance
Real Love in a Real Future

No comments: