Saturday, April 5, 2008

Stormaphobia

Sheesh, yesterday was something. The storm that came through blew the power to he!! and gone. We only got partial power back late last night. I still only have just enough juice to power this dinosaur computer. The rest of the house, including the fridge is O-U-T. Luckily, there is some oatmeal in the kitchen cabinet and the stove is gas. Wow! I can eat this morning. "In all things give thanks." At least I won't be getting any fatter today. Gee, I hope they get the rest of the power fixed today. The last I heard, there were at least 100,000 people in the area without. Our whole town was, so there is a whole choir of us belly aching.

I had been writing on my manuscript early yesterday, and had not been paying attention to anything except my character's trials and tribulations in the distant future, when, I thought, "Gee, ya know, it's getting a little dark out there." Duh! So I hauled my butt out of the bed (my office) and ran around closing windows; but, before I finished, the rain and wind hit. I had not gotten to the bathroom window, and before I could run there, the room was soaked (pull out that old handy dandy mop), and if the wind had not blown the door closed, so would have been the hallway with its oak floors.

I found out later that the winds were over 100 mph. It was raining so hard that I could not see the fifty feet across my driveway. Total white out. It only lasted about twenty minutes, but it was worse than anything that Katrina threw at us. When you live in the middle of a wood full of very tall trees, the worst thing that you can hear is the groaning screams of trees being killed. I lost two of my old giants. Thank God that their tops missed the house when they came down. Several years ago, one tried to eat the house. I am still making repairs from that. I guess that I don't have to tell you that I am Stormaphobic.

Looking on the brightside, the two trees that came down were old and damaged from prior tornadoes and ice storms. They needed to go. With them down, the magnolias that I had planted near them now have more sunlight and should grow great guns. As Linnea Sinclair says, "When life hands you lemons, find the person who got the vodka."

It looks like Monday is going to be a busy clean-up day, and the day after, and the day after...

Who's got the Vodka?
Frances

Writing Science Fiction Romance
Real Love in a Real Future

No comments: